Tesla Roadster 2 – Richard Curzon
Everyone’s talking about it: 0-60 in 1.9 seconds. From an electric car!! Is it for real, and how is it possible? I’m as intrigued as everyone else, so here’s what I’ve been able to find out.
- The Roadster 2.0 is a reimagining of the first car the Californian electric car manufacturer produced
- Roadster 2.0 will go from 0-60mph in 1.9 seconds – which would make it the first car to accelerate to this speed in under two seconds
- It will also go from 0-100mph in 4.1 seconds and cover a quarter mile drag strip in 8.9 seconds
- Provisionally the top speed has been set at 250mph+, making it faster than a Koenigsegg CCR, McLaren F1 and the Ferrari LaFerrari
- In addition to this it will also have a range of 620 miles on a single charge which is almost double what the Tesla Model S has, thanks to its 200kWh battery
- The base model Roadster will cost $200,000 but a Founders Edition has also been confirmed which costs $250,000
- Production is expected to begin in 2020
- The Roadster’s quoted performance figures could make it the quickest production car ever built
- The car will use 3 electric motors providing 7376 lb-ft of torque at the wheels
I guess if you can afford the US $200 – 250,000 asking price this would be an insanely good car to buy for the money: after all, the speed specs are comparable with those of supercars costing millions.
Will we see it in the UK? Not for a few years is my bet. Although Tesla has given a launch date of 2020, they are notorious for missing deadlines and it would be reasonable to assume that could well slip by a year or two.
In the meantime then, the pictures provided by Elon Musk and Tesla at the launch announcement are all we have to look at – luckily they show a very good looking car that is very nice to look at, so it’s a diverting way to spend a few minutes even for those of us who’ll never have the money to own one of these luxury vehicles!
If you’ve got the time to spare, and you’d love to see this car doing it’s stuff – and the reactions of the people driving it – here’s a great YouTube link for you to try!
_ Written by Richard Curzon _